Thursday, June 28, 2012

You've Got a Friend In Me

As I looked at the events unfolding, and the favor we had in every direction, I began to get more and more encouraged.  It was surreal as to how every time something would go against us - it would fix itself miraculously.  No matter what we walked through, I knew God was behind this because only He can create such favor when none is either deserved or expected by any means.

Each day consisted of much time spent on the phone and talking with people who stopped by. We continued working to fix our home, and our friend Jill, offered to sell it for us making no commission for herself. It was amazing how people came to help from all sides.  Our neighbors were being so supportive and I even learned about their family's issues with immigration from France and South Africa. Dan's friends from his old job came to interview us and create a video of us as well, and many wonderful friends from church came to support us and watch the news story with us and be interviewed. The Tortorici family, Rita, Roberta, Sherry and the Met Church bunch were incredible! My sister's friends Mike and Sarah and their family, Jessica, Victoria, Jewelz,The Tirado's, and many more offered so much help with the house, buying supplies, garage sales, etc. it was awesome to experience.  And of course the Reeds who offered their continual support and prayers and kept me sane - Thank you to the moon and back Lissa! We love you all!  Our friends from Mannatech also began calling everyone they knew in the political sects and getting the word around on social networks and e-mail. Joe-Green and Ray constantly looked for ways to help and Terri was amazing! Kim - my sister in -law, worked tirelessly on our behalf contacting even her cousin in England who was an Episcopalian bishop or something! I will never forget it.

The Global team at Gateway were the first ones to take me aside and pray with me! Pastor Geoffrey had his own story with his wife when they both won the green card lottery to come here from South Africa and he prayed with me first. Carina - my absolute favorite girl at Gateway - was incredibly sweet and supportive, offering prayers and advice on anything I needed. Pastor Troy, Lorena, Jessica and the rest of the team came together for me like nobody's business, praying for me and supporting me and I will always cherish you all!  I will never forget Pastor Bob on the Freedom Team telling me that even if the authorities do not want us here, and if we are not wanted as per the system, he said "we do, we want you here." It meant a lot. It did.

My in-laws were amazing though all of this. From the first day I told them, they were amazingly supportive, writing letters on our behalf, calling political officials, and involving their church. The little Catholic church in their small town was filled with wonderful people who prayed for us daily and offered support. Also, Dan's cousins and extended family stepped in as well - helping with lawyers all the way in New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, and down to Florida - contacting officials and TV crews, and much more. It was the big family I always wanted, coming together to help!

I remember friends contacting local political offices so much that Kay Granger's office assistant said they have never had this many phone calls about one case!  Michael Burgess who was the congressman for my sisters district at the time offered a lot of help too. I remember a town hall meeting one Saturday morning. About fifty of our friends and family showed up to support us, as we were going to ask questions about the immigration policy. The news crews also showed up to take note of the event.  Jelena's husband, Steve stood up and asked some questions on our behalf and Mr. Burgess answered accordingly, and favorably, but as we suspected clear answers like "for" and "against" are taboo words in the government.  Afterward, we had more interviews with the news teams and a private meeting with Congressman Burgess and his team. He was very professional and helpful and worked on our behalf to get us a private interview with the head ICE officials.

Our friends continued to phone politicians, and a few that stand out I would like to mention here: Senator John Cornyn, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Senator Kirk Watson, Congressman Pete Sessions, and others - if anyone remembers please let me know. Even Rick Perry Glen Beck, Bill O'Reilley  MSNBC, FOX NEWS and various talk shows were contacted.

Even friends on their own, like an amazing gentleman Mark Mangrum, who helped us so much in so many ways, like hiring a landscape company to help with our yard situation.  The lady who owned the company came by and during her many visits I had a chance to minister to her about some messy situations at home and pray with her for her kids.  It was ordained and I knew it. Mark also helped in writing an independent article http://www.texasgopvote.com/blog/current-immigration-system-obsolete-06271.

One day, a friend of mine asked if we would meet with her friend who worked on documentaries on PBS to relate our story as she was interested in doing a film on us. Jelena and I met Jodi in Waco one afternoon at a Starbucks and talked like women on fire about some great passions of ours like human trafficking. She told us stories that would make your skin crawl, and all of a sudden our meager immigration stick we were in, seemed so small. We told her our story, but more importantly we made a new friend. Jodi is such an inspirational woman with great talents and vision. Shortly after, Jodi introduced us to another wonderful lady, Sarah, a bright and charming professor at Baylor who is also involved in the film industry.  We met with the ladies many times, and it seemed that we have known them forever. Although nothing ever came out of the documentary or movie, it was a fun notion, and we enjoyed spending time with our new friends.

People were contacting all kinds of groups and it seemed that all religious denominational separations were put on hold nor did it matter about one being a democrat, republican or any other political sect. All of the differences were dropped and people came together for us from all walks of life. It was certainly the LORD's doing because it was too perfect and timely to be anything else. I remember how people came together to pray on our behalf and anytime we had a favorable response we posted on Facebook  people responded giving glory to God. I knew in my deepest being that the peace I had was from God. I had wisdom about each situation and special knowledge and discernment about things happening as well. So, knowing all this was His well orchestrated plan, I knew all was being worked out for our good. The truth I kept going back to was that No-one, no authority, no government official or agency, no law or person had any authority over me that was not given to him by God, and if He gave anyone the authority to deport or detain or even have us go through this ordeal - then He had a good reason behind it and it was planned for our good. It sure was. I see now that the cries of His kids came to the top of His head (I dunno but my mom used to use this terminology) and it was time - but then He always knew it would be.


No comments:

Post a Comment